Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Recovering

My surgery went well on Monday. Started on time and ended about 2 1/2 hours later. Dr. Dirbas was able to get the lymph node out that had the cancer in it without having to make another incision. Originally he mentioned possibly having to make an incision on my chest if he could not get to the node under my armpit. He was able to make one incision under my arm and get everything. I have about a 2 inch incision under my arm and a JP drain. He located the bad lymph node, removed it and then felt behind it and did not feel any other nodes. He said that there were about 5-6 nodes from under my arm that looked suspicious but we won't know for sure until the final pathology report. I must say the pain is not as bad as I thought. My biggest problem is sleep. Anesthesia always makes me very wired for several days. I spent the night on C2, my unit and barely slept. I kept getting lectured by the nurses to get back to bed. It was so nice to see all of my coworkers and was great to get lots of visitors. They took such great care of me, thanks guys!

I was discharged on Tuesday around 12:30. Dr. Dirbas stopped to see me one more time before I went home. The drain will stay in until 5/11 or 5/13, I am hoping 5/11. I have an appointment with him on 5/11 at 11am then meet with my oncologist at noon. We are hoping she has the final pathology and can tell me what my chemo treatment will be.

Last night I took an ambien and was able to sleep for about 5-6 hours. I've been weaning myself off the percocet and have been able to go about 5-6 hours between pills. I did nothing all day today and really can't imagine having to continue this way for another 3 weeks. I am going to go crazy. I think my mom and I are going to try a little walk tomorrow. I really wanted to go to the food store with my mom today but she would not let me. Stacy had stopped by and offered to go with my mom so that I could stay home, thanks Stacy:)

Thanks everyone for following and for all the support. I feel so blessed...

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear you're recovering well, Jen! Take it easy, please. :) Can't wait to see you and hang out on Saturday. xoxo. Andrea Linday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are going well - I thought about you all day Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for keeping us updated...we will continue to pray for your recovery and appointment on 5/11.

    Thinking of you...Melissa (and Aunt Lynne...who is visiting from Texas...we are loving every minute of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear it went well, Jen... thinking of you (and wishing you didn't have to deal with the dreaded JP drain again!)

    ReplyDelete