I will try to bring everyone up to speed as quickly and painless as possible. Back in September I started having some discomfort under my left arm (where the cancer was 4 years ago). I knew I was going to see my oncologist after my wedding in November so I figured I'd talk to her then. She felt some lymph nodes and ordered an ultra sound. The results were negative and everything looked fine.
I went back to see her in March and was still having some discomfort under my arm and in my chest area. Just to be safe she ordered an MRI. Well the MRI showed a lymph node on the front of my chest on the left side that was not there on a previous MRI 2 years ago. At this point she is still saying that it "could be nothing" but as per the radiologist request lets get a PET scan to see if there is any activity in the lymph node. I had the PET scan done on March 31 (I think) and got the call at work on April 1st that in fact there is activity in the lymph node. From there she recommended a fine needle aspirate (biopsy) of the lymph node which I got scheduled on April 8th, the day after my 33rd birthday fun times! On Friday April 9th I got the call that in fact they were cancer cells in my lymph node.
Today, April 13th, after meeting with my oncologist, breast surgeon, and radiation oncologist I have a plan. I will have surgery on May 3rd where they will remove many of my lymph nodes under and around my left armpit. I'll spend 1 night in the hospital and not be able to do any vigorous activity for 4-6 weeks. Obviously there will be lots of side effects that will come along with this but I will deal with them. Next step is chemo starting in June. Depending on the final pathology I will need 3-5 months of chemo. Lastly, about 1-2 weeks after chemo I will start radiation for 6 weeks. This will be M-F total appointment time 30 minutes. Will be losing my hair again and sunburned skin from radiation.
All of my doctors assured me today that there is nothing that they would have recommended doing 4 years ago that would have prevented this. I am feeling very overwhelmed with the information but I am so glad I have a game plan. My new status is stage 2 breast cancer with a local recurrence. Thank you for reading and like I said bumpy ride ahead. Off to try to sleep and then have a big day ahead again tomorrow!
game plans are good. so sorry that you need another one. hang in there and call me if you feel like it... i know it's been a while, but i'm here if you need me. xoxo LCV
ReplyDelete